Nov 9, 2012

Modern Architecture- Sundial Bridge

I have a great fascination for bridges, be it medieval and modern. And I love photographing them in the night with all illumination on. Here is one ... During my recent visit to USA I wandered around ... One of the pit stops was Redding. Redding is a city in Northern California. In the heart of the city is Turtle Bay Exploration Park. The park has small museums, arboretum, gardens, running tracks and its Sundial Bridge across the Sacramento river is an icon. This free standing pedestrian bridge is a feast for the eyes. A walk across over the river is refreshing.

Sundial bridge is designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava and the cost at completion was USD23.5 million. The support of the bridge forms the gnomon of a sundial and the accuracy is exact only on June 20th or 21st. Painted in white this bridge is built of steel, glass and granite. One of its kind- Beautiful!
I was trying to get a good evening shot with hues of sunset in the background. But, I was out of luck :( The beautiful clouds vanished at sunset and swarms of hungry mosquitoes arrived. For a moment a thought passed by ... why should I? But, then my mind said ... wait for few more minutes ... the result was first picture in the post :)
---

Leave a comment to share your thoughts :)

Click HERE to read more articles about National Parks of USA.

This post is linked to Skywatch Friday.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
 Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

22 comments:

  1. Wow!Beautiful shots here and a real modern bridge,
    by the way this refreshing template opens up your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes!! Awesome captures of a fantastic bridge, Kusum!! Beautiful skies for a perfect back drop!! I love the different views! Terrific! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shades of blue!
    Beautifully captured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an unusual bridge - great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome bridge and excellent photos. It was worth waiting for that first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Al. Yeah, at least I have the satisfaction that I tried!

      Delete
  6. beautiful bridge...
    and information is also good..

    happy diwali...

    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a beautiful bridge. It's almost art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a good looking bridge - I'm glad people make then good looking as well as functional.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog - I've been in Oman for a week hence slow reply!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart for visiting! Hope you had a great time in Oman.

      Delete
  9. Ah. I am shifting to California soon. Must see this place..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The bridge itself is very pretty, a walk in the park is also fantastic!

      Delete
  10. Scrolling through your blog posts- looking at the pics- I'm just shaking my head- I forgot how amazing you are at capturing such wonderful shots!!!!! Loved reading.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.