Jan 16, 2013

Birds- Egret Portrait


Egrets are beautiful birds. Their spotless white color, and the delicate neck and those mean expressions in the big eyes make them very interesting! I went for a morning jog in Palo Alto Baylands park and was amazed to see the bird life there.

Palo Alto Baylands park is a great place with long running tracks along the sea-marsh where one can see shore birds, like stilts, plovers, egrets and herons. It has a spacious parking place which makes it easier to visit frequently. After running a couple of KMs I thought of going back to the car without completing my planned running.

I ran back to the parking to get my camera gear. At one corner this egret was patiently waiting for its prey. There was little bright light on its eyes and rest was under the shade. With my movements the egret rolled its eyes to look at me and I clicked this picture. At times egrets have very mean expressions that make me laugh :) Their blemish-less white feathers make it so hard to get right exposure. 

---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts :)

This post is linked to Wild Bird Wednesday and Nature Notes.

Click HERE to read more articles about Birds.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

29 comments:

  1. Awesome "portrait"!
    I love your close-up!
    A perfect WBW-post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant close up picture of the Egret. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice picture of the Egret!
    I've only seen one once!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pia. Egrets are one of the very common birds.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shot.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in/2013/01/colourful-melancholy.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The eyes look fearsome but beautiful in the sun light, Timely and great closeup shot! The white feathers on the head give a feeling that of hair raising for the it :-) yeah agree this is somewhat mean expression :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! See, I got the mean-egret hair-rising scared :)

      Delete
  6. Very well captured Kusum. And I like the naughty look in its eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to read your post about Egret. And you clicked the picture very beautifully. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those eyes like the herons that visit here on the pond. These are wonderful with great detail. Thank you for linking into Nature Notes Kusum....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! Hope things get better!

      Delete
  9. Great picture - and I know what you mean about all white birds - and all black ones as well - they can be both be very difficult to get the exposure correct on.

    Thanks for the link on WBW.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: sorry for slow reply - I been out of internet range in Tasmania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart. Yes you are right about black birds too! Hope you had a great time in Tasmania and looking forward to the pictures and stories :)

      Delete
  10. Wonderful close up . Clear and bright

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.