Mar 4, 2013

Heritage- Chatris of Shivapuri


Chatri Shivpuri

Shivpuri is an ancient town. It was a summer capital of Scindia rulers and the thick forests around it were hunting grounds for mughals. Early morning I took a bus from Chanderi to Shivpuri and the journey was very slow but peaceful. As the bus approached the town I could see the dense forests of Madhav National Park and the George Castle on top of a far away hill. I went straight to the Badaiyya Kund and checked into the Tourist Village run by MP Tourism.

I was not sure how long I was away from home. The tension at Chanderi was a bit overwhelming. For some reason I didn't have any interest in getting into the national park for a tiger and the George Castle, also I was not getting a shared ride! There were hardly any tourists staying in the place. According to the resort staff, there was less chance of getting the permission to see the royal palace of Scindias. I didn't bother to cross check! The nice landscape around the resort was very pleasing. Badaiyya Kund, a Shiva Temple with a waterfalls, just adjacent to the resort was peaceful too. The view of the river from my room was fantastic. The bird life in the garden around made me happy. Only thing I thought of doing was a boat ride and found that it was not operating due to lack of tourists. I needed some rest  for both body and mind, so I stayed at the resort premises. I didn't want to do anything else. The resort was perfect except that there was no power most of the times. But, the last thing I wanted to switch-on was TV. I spent most of the time watching birds from the window. I had read ... good things in life are really not things ... I felt it was true ... for me that day 'good thing' was in that 'doing nothing' ...

marble Chatri Shivpuri

Next morning I felt very refreshing. I had the sumptuous complementary breakfast at the resort before I went looking for the most popular Chatris of Shivapuri. I am not a big fan of visiting cenotaphs but, since I hadn't seen anything other than the resort in the town I thought of visiting. I wasn't disappointed. The structures are embellished with intricately carved marble and also decorated with beautiful inlay work. The chatris are set in a mughal style garden and victorian lamps are for illumination. You can see how grand they are in the pictures yourself! The cenotaph of Madho Rao Scindia has white marble surface and beautiful inlay work all over the walls. Cenotaph of the queen Sakhya Raje Scindhia is an architectural beauty. There is an entrance fee and camera fee extra (Rs 50) which I felt a bit over the limit. 

Badaiyya Kund Shivpuri
Badaiyya Kund
Not very well maintained Badaiyya Kund is a great place to spend some time. It is wild and cool place with water flowing. It is believed the water is rich in minerals and has curing powers. Abundant bird life and monkeys keep the surroundings very busy in a sense that there is alway something going on ... chirping, flipping of wings, moving and so on ... very good picnic spot. 

Though I ventured around a little in Shivapuri, there are few more protected monuments in this historically important town. One of the most renowned generals of Indian War of Independence Tatya Tope was executed by british government here in Shivpuri. He was betrayed by his trusted friend Man Singh who helped british to capture Tatya. There is a statue of Tatya Tope at the site of his execution. I saw it from the bus to Gwalior, my next  destination in Madhya Pradesh. 
---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts :)

Related articles-
More destinations in Madhya Pradesh
Backpacking India

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

26 comments:

  1. The Chatris is beautiful with its marble work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are many chatris (cenotaphs) of Scindia family. Heavily ornate!

      Delete
  2. I have been to Shivpuri. The carvings on the Chatris is really intricate and exquisite !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely written, Kusum. The monuments look awesome.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in/2013/03/the-photographer-and-his-model.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Striking buildings. And good pictures, too Kusum.
    Sometimes it's nice tp take that break; just go someplace take it easy and enjoy the surroundings, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Divya, yes, rest makes the trip enjoyable!

      Delete
  5. The buildings are so beautiful; I think it would be restful just to look at the architecture -- and I'd love to look at the birds (and monkeys would be incredible). I haven't traveled as extensively as you have, but from what we have done I know that one must take rest days or down-times.. This would be a beautiful place to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monkeys in India are notorious, they snatch anything they see! Yes, the rest was heaven for me that day :)

      Delete
  6. Such incredibly beautiful buildings! Your first capture really took my breath away when I opened your post! Amazing! Thanks for sharing the beauty and the history, Kusum! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia, yes, these structures are really grand!

      Delete
  7. What magnificence and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you just need to take time out for yourself. Glad to hear you felt refreshed enough the next day to continue in your search for treasures so that you can share them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Isn't it exciting to the treasure of knowledge and experiences?

      Delete
  10. fun adventure. i envy your goal of seeing your own country, but i'm not the solo traveler type so i'm living the dream through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words :) I am glad you find my blog interesting.

      Delete
  11. Great post and the photos are lovely. The temple and village look beautiful! Thanks for sharing your world. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very nice... thanks for sharing a peaceful and amazing post.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.