Mar 28, 2014

Natural Wonder- Sedona, The Queen of Red Rocks!



Sedona- sounds very familiar huh? And very popular city in the American South-West! Located at the elevation of 4,500ft in Arizona, Sedona is surrounded by high standing red rock formations with spiritual energy! The rocks and surrounding area offer hundreds of opportunities for hiking and mountain-biking. Its mild summer and winter make is a vacation destination. Sedona's signature red rocks appear in more than 50-60 Hollywood movies. It is a delight to see these rocks glowing in the golden light of rising or setting sun.

Red Rocks at Sedona
Sedona City

I drove from Flagstaff through the Oak Creek Canyon on the road (State Route 89A) with numerous hairpin bends in the forested area towards Sedona. It was a beautiful forest road lined with oak trees with maximum fall color in the end of October. Roadside restaurants spreading the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and fresh muffins. The Sliding Rock State Park (with entrance fee) on the way is one beautiful place for swimming. I spent half a day here before proceeding to the city of Sedona.

Chapel and Red Rocks at Sedona
The Chapel of Holy Cross
I started early in the morning from Cottonwood to experience the beauty and the special energy of the place. At one of the visitor centers I purchased the Red Rock Pass ($5) which is needed for parking at some of the popular attractions.

Sedona is popular for its rocks and the special spiritual energy emerging out of the rocks. There are four special places where the spiritual energy is concentrated and spiraling out are called Sedona Vortexes. It is believed that the energy touches or heals a person's "inner self" when meditating on top of these high rocks. Few people experience it and others feel nothing out of normal. And I fall into the "other" group. Seriously, I feel elated and free when I stand atop any high mesa or any high mountain anywhere. I feel outflowing energy of some kind which is taking me close to God. Also when I am in a canyon feeling the heights of the walls or sitting beside a water source I feel peaceful enough to introspect, I feel secure and restored. I admit I felt somewhat little like that here too but, nothing out of normal for me. 

Courthouse Butte
Well, someone has to spend more time in solitude may be, to feel the energy. But, I am sure if someone hikes up the Cathedral Rocks every morning to inhale the fresh air definitely that will reduce the stress!

I drove first to the Red Rock Crossing which was unfortunately closed. The site is also known to be a vortex with inflow of energy. Combined with flowing water  this inflow of energy is supposedly soothes the soul and restores peace.

The Chapel of the Holy Cross is built into the high cliffs of red rocks is considered as one of the four so-called Sedona Vortexes of spiritual energy. The 250ft tall chapel building emerges out of 1,000ft tall red cliff wall. The views from the chapel are breathtakingly beautiful! The religious significance with the natural energy makes it a special place in Sedona city. It seems it is one the seven man-made wonders of Arizona. 

Cathedral Rocks at Sedona
Cathedral Rocks
Cathedral Rocks are another landmark in the city of Sedona. It is one of the most photographed rock formations in the state of Arizona. A short trail up to the saddle point is short and steep but is worth all that little effort. Major set back is getting a parking spot (Red Rock pass required). I was almost frustrated to think of leaving before I got a spot. Cathedral Rocks are one of the four Sedona Vortexes.

Bell Rock at Sedona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock is a bell shaped butte with 4,919ft summit elevation made of layers of sediments. It is considered one of the four Sedona Verttexes. It is believed to be gateway between Mother Earth and other dimensions. Some people were saying they couldn't handle the energy! 

Bell Rock is one of the very popular attraction in Sedona. It is very difficult to get a parking spot where you need a red rock pass. Many had parked on the roadside and I did too to walk up to the rock. 

There are many other energy sites. There are routes to go 4x4. Also available ate Pink Jeep and ATV for off road adventure to bump-and-bouce on the rough terrain which may cost at least US$100. Sedona is a beautiful city and a spiritual place. Its serene setting amidst the red rocks, the spiritual importance, hundreds of art galleries, hiking and biking routes make it a second popular destination in Arizona after the world popular wonder of the nature Grand Canyon.

---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts and constructive feedback. If you have enjoyed this article then connect with Google+, Twitter, Facebook or subscribe through email for more exciting updates!

Related articles-
Interesting places near Sedona
Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado
Sea Ranch Chapel, a modern architecture
Universal Studios- Hollywood
Horseshoe Bend on Colorado
American South-West: A road trip

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

31 comments:

  1. oh yeah sedona is a special place. i wish i could go back there. you did a marvelous job capturing the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rocks are awesome. Definitely a place to put on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after a visit to Grand Canyon drive south and you are in Sedona!

      Delete
  3. The sky was a very different colour when I was there! And I also fall into the "other" group!

    Stewart M _ Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky wasn't beautiful, I mean no clouds at all that day!

      Delete
  4. The photo of Cathedral Rocks is excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So love those enchanting, earthy rock colours in contrast with the blue of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sedona is a beautiful place. I love the colors of the rocks.. Lovely photos. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fantastic shot !
    Magniche tutte le foto :)
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  8. The landscape out west is so different from the east. I would love to see these places some day. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! the Landscapes are totally different!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic images capturing the magic of Sedona.
    JM Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes! I do love Sedona, Kusum! One of my favorite places to visit! Terrific captures for the day, as always, and you have indeed captured the magic!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting rock formations......fabulous colours!

    Happy weekend!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love Sedona and that drive you took. Your photos remind me of a couple of grand trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Glad you like my post and recollect the sweet memories!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for your interesting tour. I've been to these places too and find them magical. In fact, I really love the state of Arizona! I'll check out your other posts about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linnea! Glad you find my posts on Southwest interesting. Will look forward to your suggestions on nearby interesting places!

      Delete
  14. What wonderful adventures and beautiful photos! Arizona has some mighty pretty scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! AZ has very pretty landscapes!

      Delete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.