May 15, 2014

Postcards from Italy- A photo essay!

Musei Vaticani Vatican City
Feasting on art in Vatican City

I had been to Italy some time ago and never got a chance to write about the trip at all! The lingering taste of the place, art and food never seems to fade away! Thought of putting together all my dearest memories of Italy for you in pictures. I will post about each place in detail soon. I was tired of backpacking and thought of taking a first class package tour for 11 days to cover most of the popular places in Italia. The tour was good for an introduction to Italy!

Orvieto Italy shop
Shopping in Orvieto

Orvieto is a comune (basic administrative division in Italy like a township) located on a hilltop. Popular for a massive cathedral Orvieto has streets lined with shops displaying beautiful artwork. 


Olive farms Tuscany Italy
Olive farms in Tuscany

I also had a lovely lunch in a farm in Tuscany which was of course arranged by the tour guide. Though touristy it was good introduction otherwise would have gone missed. Olives oil, sun dried tomatoes, fresh pasta, and bottles and bottles of wine!

Gates of Paradise Florence Italy
Gates of Paradise in Florence

In Florence got surrounded by art and architecture. Since I was not free to do anything on my own I couldn't explore more here. I was one among the hordes of tourists! I would want to go back again to see those museums displaying exquisite paintings.

Leaning Tower of Pisa Italy
Leaning tower of Pisa

Leaning tower of Pisa. And so many people to make sure it is still leaning! It is beautiful!

Venice Gondola ride
Gondola rides in Venezia

Venice means gondola rides and very ornate masks. Well, I too went for a gondola ride and got stuck in the gondola traffic jam! Bought a mask as a souvenir :)

Burano Island Italy
Multi-colored houses in Burano

Sleepy island Burano is  known for its sea food restaurants and very intricate lace. Though I could not have much food here I went on walking around the silent streets looking for beautiful lace and scarves.

Comune of Assisi Italy
The comune of Assisi

Comune of Assisi is one place I enjoyed the most. I had more free time and the silent place was full of art every inch. Clean fresh air on hilltop was very refreshing though everything there was themed religious.

Ruins of Pompeii Italy
Ruins of Pompeii
What nature's fury could do to a beautiful city- can be seen at Pompeii. Ruins of a once beautiful Roman city excavated from the volcanic ash of Mt Vesuvius.

Capri coastline Italy
The Island of Capri

I took a boat ride on the waters of Tyrrhenian Sea around the Island of Capri. Entering the Blue Grotto was amazing but again traffic jam! Took a ropeway to the highest point on the island.

Furniture Sorrento Italy
Beautiful furniture of Sorrento

Furniture and the Music boxes from Sorrento are popular! I took pictures of furniture! Though expensive a beautiful Music Box became a part of my souvenir collection before I said arrivederci to Italy!
---

Leave a comment to share your beautiful thoughts and constructive feedback. If you have enjoyed this article then connect with Google+, Twitter, Facebook or subscribe through email for more exciting updates!

Related articles-
Denali National Park, Alaska
Ice age lingers at Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska
Hawaii Volcanoes in Big Island
Haleakala National Park in Hawaii- Landscape from moon!
Chicago's Cloud Gate

This post is linked to Skywatch Friday.

If you want pictures please ask me :)
---
Creative Commons License
Scrapbook- A Travel Blog by Kusum Sanu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

17 comments:

  1. Ahhh, what a lovely country. It seems like the entire country is worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is so entirely different and interesting!

      Delete
  2. I do love Italy!! Just wish I could have spent more time there and seen more of the country! Your photos are terrific as always, Kusum!! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - gorgeous shots! Italy is a fabulous country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ladifi, Yes italy is one fabulous country!

      Delete
  4. A beautiful country. Lots of wonderful places to visit. Thanks for sharing your trip photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Italy holds a place in my "bucket list" for sure. Your photographs certain show how much you enjoyed your stay there. Winding up that music box and looking at these pictures will bring back the memories whenever you want. Such joy! Such beauty! Such good food and music! Enjoy!
    JM Illinois, U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the music box is wonderful!

      Delete
  6. a beautiful series of postcard shots

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do seem to visit some great places - rather jealous!

    Nice pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely postcards.
    Package tours are a good way to be introduced to a new place. I hope you get to explore to your heart's content, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Divya. I hope so too!

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate to have your precious thoughts, suggestions and kind encouraging words in comments. Please do not include self-promotional links.I am encountering some problems because of these links and hence I may not publish them.